· Know the different types of electromagnetic radiation and which of them are included in solar radiation
· Be able to calculate wavelength if given frequency and frequency if given wavelength for specified electromagnetic radiation
· Know the meaning of absorbance, reflectance and transmittance as applied to a surface receiving electromagnetic radiation and be able to make calculations with those parameters
· Be able to obtain or calculate values for solar declination, solar hour angle, solar altitude angle, sunrise angle, and sunset angle and use them in calculations
· Know the major methods by which solar radiation is converted into other usable forms of energy.
· Be able to obtain an estimated value for monthly averaged extraterrestrial radiation on a horizontal surface for a specified month and latitude between 20 and 65 degrees.
· Be able to obtain values for the average monthly rate of solar radiation striking the surface of a solar collector with one of several standard tilt angles at a specified location in the United States for a given month.