· The student will have knowledge of the wide spectrum of engineering applications of large stone including area such as slope protection, training structures, retention dikes, breakwaters and jetties, and zoned embankments.
· The student will have knowledge of potential problems that can be encountered, including problems that are design related, material related or external.
· The student will have knowledge of the necessity to locate stone sources and determine the availability, cost, suitability to design, and quality of their materials.
· The student will have knowledge of geological mapping, subsurface investigations, test quarry, test fills, and estimating volumes with regard to evaluating sources at the project site.
· The student will have knowledge of stone testing as part of the investigation of sources but involves laboratory testing and other methods sufficiently distinct to warrant separate consideration.
· The student will have knowledge of contractor quality control, material control and placement control. Additionally, quality assurance will be discussed detailing areas such as check surveys and reporting.