· Learn the definition of a decibel and how it is calculated
· Learn how to add, subtract and average decibel levels
· Learn the definition of and how to calculate sound pressure level
· Learn the definition of and how to calculate sound power level
· Learn the definition of and how to calculate sound intensity level
· Learn the definition of A-, B- and C-weighted sound levels and how they are applied
· Learn how noise associated with buildings is defined in terms of Noise Criteria and Room Criteria.
· Learn about designing to mitigate speech interference in the acoustic environment.
· Learn how sound pressure level (SPL) varies with distance and absorption.
· Learn basic principles underlying estimation and use of Room Constants.
· Learn how the principles of sound Transmission Loss (TL), Noise Reduction (NR) and Sound Transmission Class (STC) of building materials are applied to real projects.
· Learn about STC values for many common building materials.