This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Students will learn the federal definition of hazardous waste.
- Students will become familiar with the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
- Students will learn about the three categories of hazardous waste generators, the four lists of hazardous wastes, and the four characteristics of hazardous wastes.
- Students will understand the use of the hazardous waste codes.
- Students will be cognizant of typical RCRA wastes in C&D debris and of the need to manage C&D debris containing mercury, lead, and asbestos.
- Students will become familiar with the hazardous waste requirements checklist for construction.
- Students will understand methods for reducing the amount of waste generated.
- Students will know the environmentally responsible procedures for managing oil and tires waste.
- Students will become familiar with case studies of successful reduction, reuse, and recycling of C&D material.