This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Students will learn about proper landscape planting, involving concepts such as vegetation-free zones and vegetation-management zones.
- Students will understand the areas of concern involving root impacts and root-free zones.
- Students will be introduced to the treatment of levees, floodwalls, embankment dams, and appurtenant structures for vegetation control.
- Students will learn about design considerations such as feasibility analysis, planting berms, planters, irrigation systems, flood-fighting and structure maintenance.
- Students will appreciate the goals of maintenance of plantings, selection of plant material, and appropriate ground cover in the vegetation-free zone.
- Students will understand how to treat borrow sites, spoil sites, vegetation-related maintenance and repair, and the need for an operations and maintenance manual.
- Students will be able to decide when removal of non-compliant vegetation is appropriate.