This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Students will learn the characteristics of batteries, PSH, CAES, flywheels, capacitors, superconducting magnetic energy storage, vehicle-to-grid, and hydrogen energy storage.
- Students will understand the concepts of power component and energy component of storage technologies.
- Students will become familiar with the costs and performance of PSH, CAES, and high-energy batteries.
- Students will become informed about site availability for PSH and CAES installations.
- Students will understand environmental and social impacts (land and water use, greenhouse gas emissions).
- Students will understand market and regulatory barriers to storage deployment.