This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Students will learn about proper road cross section shape: crown, shoulder, and foreslope.
- Students will understand techniques for rehabilitation of deteriorated road.
- Students will be able to apply principles of drainage based on ditches, culverts, and underdrains.
- Students will learn about corrugation (washboarding), intersections, superelevation in curves, rail crossings, soft and weak subgrade.
- Students will become knowledgeable about the selection of gravel, the need to avoid segregation and to test aggregates.
- Students will learn how to follow the AASHTO method and the design catalog approach for determining gravel road thickness.
- Students will be able to decide when to pave a gravel road.
- Students will become familiar with the use of a worksheet for gradation and plastic index determination.
- Students will be able to use charts for quantity calculations.
- Students will understand the requirements for maintaining a motor grader.