Upon completion of the course, the student should understand:
- Why AC and DC ratings on fuses and circuit breakers are different.
- The NEC rules for backfeeding circuit breakers.
- The difference between disconnects and controllers.
- Connecting additional sources and loads to a distribution panel, including addition of electric vehicle chargers.
- The difference between shallow and deep discharge storage batteries.
- The difference between lead-acid and lithium storage batteries.
- Charging requirements of lead-acid and lithium storage batteries.
- Temperature, charging and discharging effects on battery storage capacity.
- Advantages and disadvantages of simple, magnetic and electronic motor starters.
- Several troubleshooting methods and their common uses.
- When expansion joints are needed in PVC and metallic conduit and how to install them.
- Photovoltaic Systems – types, DC components, inverter operation, AC components and safety considerations.
- Charging requirements of typical electric vehicles (EVs).
- How to calculate whether an existing service can handle electric vehicle chargers.
- 2017 National Electrical Code changes for general installations.