Upon completion of the course, the student should understand:
- Basics of voltage, current, resistance, diodes, AC and DC, transformers, relays and digital logic.
- Why AC and DC ratings on fuses and circuit breakers are different.
- The NEC rules for adding sources and loads to electrical distribution panels.
- The difference between shallow and deep discharge storage batteries.
- The difference between lead-acid and lithium storage batteries.
- Charging requirements of lead-acid and lithium storage batteries.
- Temperature, charging and discharging effects on battery storage capacity.
- Several analog and digital troubleshooting methods and their common uses.
- When expansion joints are needed in PVC and metallic conduit and how to install them.
- Charging requirements of typical electric vehicles (EVs).
- How to calculate whether an existing service can handle electric vehicle chargers.
- 2017 National Electrical Code changes for general installations.
- Low voltage classifications and certifications.
- Low voltage wire types.
- How to calculate voltage drops and size transformers for landscape lighting.
- The classification and operation of burglar alarm systems and fire alarm systems.
- Alarm circuit layout options.
- Alarm control circuit options.
- The layout and operation options of surveillance systems.
- The types and classifications of emergency and standby power systems.
- The characteristics of a “smart home.”
- Rules for installation of cable and telecom systems.