This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Students will learn safety requirements for scaffolds, trench excavation, and trench-worker protection.
- Students will become familiar with principles of demolition safety and cleanup, including mitigation of asbestos and lead hazards.
- Students will understand principles of fall protection in residential construction and in general industry, and in roof work (installing trusses and tile, and repairing).
- Students will understand principles of working safely with electricity on construction and cleanup sites, and of avoiding electrical hazards associated with downed electrical wires.
- Students will the proper use of respirators and differences between respirators and surgical masks.
- Students will learn what precautions are needed when employing pneumatic nail guns.
- Students will be able to apply the cold stress equation and will learn how to protect workers from cold-temperature dangers.