Upon completion of the course, the student should understand the design process for the two most popular configurations for battery-backup, grid-connected Photovoltaic Systems, including
· Whole house backup vs partial house backup.
· How to determine power and energy needs of proposed standby loads.
· How to decide whether to design a system as AC-coupled or DC-coupled.
· How to select all system components, including modules, inverters, batteries and system integration components to meet the system electrical and structural design requirements.
· The advantages of modern systems over legacy systems.
· The roles of present and future systems in modernizing the grid.